Monday, August 21, 2023

Now what?

 Things are still a roller coaster ride at Kisa’s nest. I didnt get there all weekend because I had to check other nests, and I thought things were going well….so I got there this morning at 8:30 or so. Much to my surprise, MOM was on the nest! She hasnt been seen in over two weeks. No chicks on the nest. So I put my scope on the tripod and went searching. I did find KISA in a tree and the male chick nearby desperately food begging. I could not locate the other chick. Mom was also food begging occasionally. Finally KISA flew off and I thought he would return with a fish….but I never saw him again during my five hours there. The chick and mom had empty crops. Oddly, the chick wouldnt go to the nest but flew around landing in different trees, and he never begged for food from Mom! I kept checking on him, and he waited silently, as did Mom on the nest. Then I went to check another nest where a chick had been reported as missing. I found that chick very quickly, and came back to Kisa’s nest and went looking for the chick again and could not find him at all. So I headed out to some other nearby lakes. I did manage to find the male chick. ( I have a freakish talent for this) He was trying to fish, but not totally plunging into the water, just  trying to grab something off the surface, unsuccessfully. I could not find the other chick anywhere. I returned to the nest where Mom had been perching for five hours. I cant quite figure out what’s going on. The chick clearly sees KISA as the provider, not mom. And the chick did not want to be on the nest with mom. So, again,  behaviors are unusual, and hard to understand. Mom is able to catch fish. But somehow it seems like her parental instincts are turned off. Why would she not respond to food a begging chick? And why is she not even getting herself a fish? And is KISA staying away because she is there? He was doing a fine job or providing for these chicks the past two weeks. Sigh. I have no answers. 

I had to leave after five hours. I will check in again tomorrow morning, but I can’t stay all day as I have another commitment. I will also return Wednesday morning, a day that is predicted to be the hottest day of the summer, possibly 100 degrees. 

Sure hope somebody will feed these chicks, and I hope I find both of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment