Thursday, August 24, 2023

Searching….

 I spent four hours searching for the chicks and Kisa yesterday but all I saw was Mom staked out in the nest. I returned today for another four hour search ….but today mom was gone as well. I hiked all around the area, I searched the lake where I saw one chick on Monday, several times, but all I saw were eagles. I examined satellite images of the area, looking for lakes, ponds, any places ospreys might visit. In spite of all my efforts and explorations, I never spotted any chicks or kisa. The wind direction switched today , so now its a light north breeze tho only 5-6 mph….but maybe that is what caused Mom to leave. The weather has been horrible with dewpoints so high that my scope and binoculars were constantly needing to be cleared of condensation. It was not pleasant out there, and it was difficult not to weep at the silence, the emptiness. I will keep looking of course, but I am not hopeful. It’s hard to accept this deeply sad ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment