Thursday, April 11, 2024

Arboretum Update

 We are seeing more activity on the Arb cam nest today. I wanted to update some info. In spite of what has been erroneously reported elsewhere, the male we are seeing today is PZ. He is a five year old from a nest in Carver Park. He has nested at another Arboretum nest, south of the cam nest, for the last two years. His nest failed last year which may be why he is trying to move. I am uncertain if this female is the one from this nest last year, or his former mate at the other nest. I am trying to compare markings and I see some similarities and some differences. I will keep working on that. Time will tell if the male from last year, MS, shows up. We still are seeing many ospreys arriving, some nests are still empty or missing one bird. We are observing lots of competition for nest sites so many territories are still unsettled. I will try to keep accurate info posted here regarding this nest…..don’t hesitate to ask questions. As many of you may recall, I helped put this pole up way back in 2001 and have monitored it every year since. I also monitor all known nests so I am able to track movements of birds like PZ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment