Another day, another story about the chick and her non-dad. Step dad? Benefactor?
I got there about 8:30 and waited for 2.5 hours. No ospreys. I looked in all the usual places….nothing. So I started thinking and looking thru the notes. It’s interesting how this male slowly slipped in to their lives. On 6/12 I did see the banded polygynous male being a fish. This was a rare occurrence with him. The first time I saw the new unbanded male was on 6/26…perched on a large water tower….maybe a block or two away. I notice these things and include everything in my notes….cause you never know what might turn out to be important. (Note to monitors…include everything you see, dont judge something as unimportant …like another osprey perched some distance away). Anyway, I noticed him and noted that he was unbanded…this made it clear he was NOT the polygynous male who actually was the biological dad. I didn’t see him again until 7/19. I visit this nest about once a week….sometimes less….because I have a monitor here, Vicky, but I have a special interest in this nest due to the unusual circumstances. On 7/19 is the first time I saw him bring a fish, tho that doesn’t mean it’s the first time he did it. He started out sitting on a lightpole next door, eating a fish. The mom saw him and started food begging. He kept eating but would occasionally stop and look at her and the chick. Seemed like he was thinking about what he should do. Finally he came to the nest with the fish and Mom did not shoo him away….she took the fish and turned her back to this male and fed the chick. Turning her back was a trusting thing to do. Tho I also remember that the chicks at the hack site during the reintroduction would turn their back to me when I tried to feed them…like if they didn’t see this human, it was easier to accept food from her. At any rate she fed the chick the whole fish and then when they both turned around the male was still there. It was a big fish and the feeding took considerable time and he didn’t leave. He preened, snoozed, and was very comfortable there. But when the fish was gone the chick moved towards this male and he flew off. Nope, not gonna deal with that chick. I concluded that the fish delivery was a courtship attempt for the female. The next time I saw him was on 8/2. Mom came flying in to the nest with a fish ( she was still fishing for the chick) and so did this male! They both stood there with a fish. I have photos of this. The chick came flying in and the male took his fish to a light to eat. Mom started feeding the chick, and the chick said “I can do it myself” and wrestled the fish away from mom. She watched the chick eat. Then the male came to the nest with his fish. He stood there for a while and then he flew off leaving his fish behind. The chick dropped what remained of moms fish and lunged for the bigger fish the male had delivered. Kids. So mom took what remained of her fish and they both ate. Sadly, that was the last time I saw her. It doesn’t mean that’s when she left tho. Vicky reported seeing her and the chick on 8/7. But looking back, we are not sure if she saw Mom or the male. Ironically when I looked thru last years notes….the last time I saw the female in 2025 was on 8/2 also!!!! On 8/15 this year was when I saw no Mom, and still that male brought a fish to the chick. This begins his regular care for this chick, and clearly he was no longer bringing fish as a courtship behavior for the mom. This just increased my curiousity. You have read the recent stories…..so today after 2.5 hours of seeing no ospreys anywhere I started to wonder if they had departed. We had strong northerly winds yesterday which is often when they leave. Somehow it seems like if I leave, the ospreys show up. So I decided to go check another nest and make a quick trip to a veg stand for some fresh tomatoes and corn. I came back in a little less than an hour. No one on the nest or the lights….and then I saw the chick in one of her favorite trees. I got closer and put up the scope. SHE HAD A FULL CROP! So the male probably brought her a fish right after I left, of course. She was sleepy, content, quiet. I took a lot of pictures of her. I watched her for over an hour….and then suddenly she started desperately whining….many of you know the sound of a cry baby osprey. She flew to the nest as the male was coming in with a fish. I had to move my car get the scope focused etc….and totally missed the delivery. The the male flew to the light. The chick stayed in the nest mantling over her fish and crying. I always think of one of my long time monitors who said “they cry when they dont have a fish and they cry when they do”. It’s true, and it’s funny. Eventually the chick gathered her wits about her and took her fish to the tree where she had been earlier. I got a video of her eating and crying. The male stayed nearby on the lightpole. Suddenly the chick screamed and flew off with her fish, circling, upset…and I saw another bird land in that tree. The male shot over there instantly and started dive bombing this other bird, repeatedly! It finally flew off…a redtail. Not a bird that they usually have much conflict with , but the chick was threatened and this male protected her! I am telling you, I felt like crying. His defense of her, when he is not her dad, was amazing. So I was thinking about how his involvement has slowly increased to the point where he acting fully like a biological male would….without the adult female even being there. So he wasn’t defending a mate or potential mate….but someone else’s offspring. And it appears he had brought two fish to this chick so far today, and he was hanging around to watch over her and what he seems to perceive as “his” territory. This redtail visit happened around 2-2:30. I have spent so much time there recently. The more time you spend, the more amazing the stuff you get to see. I always say, the ospreys will reward you. But my life is falling apart at home so I decided to leave for today and get a few things done at home….and I will probably return tomorrow for a while, because I can’t be there on Tuesday…..other commitments beckon. But it was quite a day, both in what I witnessed, and what looking thru my notes revealed. Another reason I have to be there tomorrow is that it will be one month since this chick fledged!!!! I hope these two stay a little longer, because I am in love with them…and their relationship is changing….at first I dont think this chick thought this other adult would care for her. She was used to having Mom around….but now both of them spend more time close to each other. This male does seem to have adopted this chick.


No comments:
Post a Comment