Saturday, August 15, 2026

Unique

 Just an interesting look at an osprey…..for those of you who have looked at many osprey’s you know that females often have what we call a “necklace”….spots on the upper breast. And males often have a whiter breast….sometimes completely white, and some have some spots on the upper breast. And there are ospreys whose markings are confusing. I currently have a female with a very white breast, and also we have a male with quite a few spots….if you saw him alone you might say “female”. But I was watching this adult today….and I have never seen another osprey quite like it. Not actually sure which sex it is but I think male…..but look at those spots way down on his belly, between his legs! It looks like a red tail hawk’s belly band! Is this his Halloween costume? This ospreys is nesting on a very high transmission tower so I never got a really close look before today….the chick fledged and this adult was hanging out close to the chick. Always interesting stuff to notice about these birds.



No comments:

Post a Comment