After the rain today I did step out to visit a few nests…
It’s been so frustrating, with so many nests to check, when I visit and the chicks are getting close to fledge…..and then I return 9 days later and they are gone. I cant find a single one of the family. I searched and waited….even found a new nest, or start of a nest, or maybe something this pair had started previously. I didn’t hear any chicks, tho I finally found the male on another celltower. I will have to try again, and sometimes I have to accept that with this many nests, some will fall thru the cracks and I won’t have definite final outcomes. I know those chicks made it to fledging age. I just can’t get back to them soon enough. We are also searching for missing chicks post fledge on many nests….and sadly, I found another dead chick in a nest.
I also visited a nest that had three chicks but all of them disappeared much earlier in the season. I don’t know the cause, but I suspect predation. Since then I had not seen the adults and that worried me…but yesterday I found them both perched side by side , each eating a fish. The male is banded. It was a relief to know that they are both ok.
So after a disappointing few days…I went to another nest that I had been to 9 days earlier. That solo chick was starting to hop and flap then, and today when I arrived there, I could not find a single osprey. I searched all around the area, and then just sat there waiting….hoping….and when I looked up from my field book….this stunningly beautiful chick was perched on a nearby celltower. I was so happy to see him. Somehow, when you watch chicks in a nest, you don’t always see all of them, you don’t notice all the spectacular markings….and when they have fledged and are perching in the open….boy it can take my breath away! I saw no adults, but I am sure his dad is around. But some females are starting their trips to the spa….as they begin to build up their strength, their muscle mass, their hunting skills, to prepare for the big trip ahead. On a nest with a single chick, this leaves the chick alone a lot. It often seems that on larger brood nests, the chicks fly around together, they have someone to play with, someone to compete with. But on the other hand, single chicks get all the food! Anyway, this nest is one of my favorites….tho we lost the long time banded male several years ago. The new male has been a devoted mate and Dad. I think it’s the same female, tho she is unbanded. So it lifted me up to see this spectacular male chick, with a totally white breast, perched up there in the late afternoon light. What a beauty. He made my day!

No comments:
Post a Comment