Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Scarce….

 A quick update on the orphan and benefactor …..I arrived at the nesting site a little before 10 and did not see or hear an osprey until 1:20. It was the male who showed up with a fish. He flew circles all around the area, displaying the fish, to try to attract the chick if she was anywhere nearby. No chick showed up or was heard. He waited for a while on the nearby lights, looking in all directions and then he flew off and I could not find him. I visited nearby lakes , all the places I have ever seen them….and could not spot either of them. I was beginning to think the chick had departed. Then at 2:45 she showed up on the lights. She was totally quiet, and she did not have a super empty crop. I don’t know if she hooked up with the male elsewhere. Suddenly she flew to the nest so I thought maybe she saw him coming….but I waited another 30 minutes and then decided I needed to go home. Maybe he is weaning her….maybe she is just venturing further away….it can be a gradual process. Anyway, I saw them both. No one has departed yet. I will return soon….tho the sudden jump in gas prices has me trying to cut back a bit on the miles….I don’t live near this nest, but my curiousity about how things are developing, unfolding always wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment