Another gray, rainy day….but those can be good days to find ospreys. I only checked a few nests. I went to the nest of the orphans sibling and bio dad and they are still there! I didn’t see dad but chick was eating a fish and then went to the nest to wait for more! She’s a beauty!
Then I went further east to a nest that had late fledging chicks. I on,y saw one chick there last weekend….and today I found none! I waited for 45 minutes but no one came. I headed down the road and went past a pond where I have seen those very ospreys in the past. At first I didn’t see any ospreys but I slammed on my brakes and backed up cause something caught my eye. Sure enough there was a chick in a dead tree, with a whole bullhead! I watched this lovely girl for quite a while. She had a full crop and a whole fish…..hmmmmm. Did she catch that fish or did someone deliver it to her? I doubt that she would go fishing with a full crop…but you never know. Was this the chick from the nest I just left? She was being bothered by crows and she was enchanting to watch. Look closely at some of the photos…..below her crop….look at that belly. Someone is taking good care of her! This is what I love to see on a chick who is about to start her first migration!




No comments:
Post a Comment