Thursday, September 24, 2026

Still here!

 I have been out checking nests the last two days as have several of the monitors also! Reports are still coming in!

I visited 20 nests yesterday and only two of them had ospreys….a chick on one nest with a fish, who took her meal to a tree to eat. I must have just missed Dad. The other nest had a chick with a full crop….just hanging out at home!
Today I checked 5 nests….and only one had ospreys . When I arrived I found the adult male, on a cell tower near the nest. He was waiting, snoozing, preening and I just knew by his behavior that his kids were still around, so I waited. Eventually two ospreys flew right past him….one at a time, and none made any vocalizations. It had to be the kids! They flew off to the NE and I could see them circling….eventually disappearing. Dad kept snoozing. 
Finally one juvenile came back and landed in the nest,, followed closely by the other chick. Sweet. They were just out playing together. These two has gone thru so many shenanagins that I wondered if they both would make it. One day, shortly after fledging, I watched one of them try to land on the light cover on the lights where their nest is…..he slipped and was hanging there between two lights, feet hanging down, wings spread over two lights. My heart raced…..was I going to have to mount a rescue? Then he simply put his wings up and he slid right thru the lights and came out flying below, circled around and made it back to the nest! Whew. So here they are many weeks later, doing fine and I loved that they were out and about together. And Dad was waiting patiently at home. When they were both back on the nest they started food begging and off went Dad. I waited a while but it started to rain so I headed home. So osprey season is not over yet!




No comments:

Post a Comment