Another hot day out there….I stopped first at the nest where the bio- dad of lil orphan Annie, and her half sister lives. That chick was in the tree with a fish…..Didnt see dad but clearly he had been there to deliver breakfast.
Then I proceeded to the nest lil orphan Annie lives…..she was on the nest waiting. At first I did not see the male but the the chick got very defensive and flew off to the lights….and I saw an adult osprey chasing a bald eagle. Must be the male. He and the eagle disappeared so I went looking for them, and during that time, the chick had flown off.
As I waited the male arrived with a fish and he flew in circles around the area, looking for the chick, but she wasn’t there, and the male disappeared as well.
I spent a few hours searching for both of them….nearby lakes etc….and while making that tour I stopped at another nest where I saw one chick…..and that dad delivered a fish to her. So interesting….she took the fish and flew off towards the lake so I went looking for her, but then she circled back to the ballfield and landed on a light to eat her fish. If you hadn t seen the dad deliver the fish, you might have thought that she caught the fish since she came back from the lake with it. Humans like to make up stories and sometimes they fail to accurately tease out the facts. If you didn’t actually see a chick catch a fish, dont assume that is what happened!
When I got back to the other nest, the male was there with a fish….waiting, and waiting, and waiting. He snoozed, he looked around. Looking for her….waiting for her….the fish was for her. Finally he flew to the lights…and after some more waiting, he slowly ate the fish. Damn, she missed another meal. Then he flew off. I waited. Finally here comes the princess to the nest, crying all the way. She waits there for a delivery for quite a while….and the. The male arrived, WITHOUT a fish! The chick could t believe it. I will include the whole sequence of photos….at the end the chick sort of attacked the male, pushing him off the nest. How dare he come to the nest without a fish! Jeeez after all he has done for her….but the chick was mad. Ha ha. The male didn’t seem to mind. Ok ok ok….off he went. But I was hot and tired. I knew he would bring a fish. They are both still here….as well as several other nests. A cool front is coming thru tonight, bringing a shift in the winds….sometime around midnight the winds will become more northerly. Will they be there tomorrow? Sunday? A few more days? A week? I don’t know….but I will keep checking.









No comments:
Post a Comment