Sunday, September 17, 2023

Hanging out…

 I have a problem. I inadvertantly spent the whole weekend hanging out with the ospreys….tho thats not what I intended to do! I kept heading over to the east side of the metro because, just like last weekend, there were at least four chicks, four dads at four nests, not far from each other that I could, ya know, hang out with. Somehow, just being near them is somehow uplifting to me. Did a lot of hiking, searching, watching, listening, educating tolerant and interested people. I spent time with what I think is the youngest osprey chick….fledging just two weeks ago or so. She was not on her nest, or anywhere near her nest, but I started hiking and it wasnt long before I had located her. She was flying around and exploring the area. Not far away was another chick waiting endlessly on her nest for Dad. I did not see him, but I knew from her crop that she had eaten recently and she was shooting some nice poop squirts. I also caught her flying over a creek and she came back wet, so either bathing or just trying to go in the water. With the cooler temps and low humidity, It was just so beautiful out, a pleasure to be out there. A few short weeks ago I was dragging my scope and tripod around in the heat and feeling so exhausted I was sure I must have a terminal illness! Not today! I drove a little further and found another chick, not in her nest but in a dead snag nearby….and as I scanned the surrounding area I was able to spot her Dad, in the distance, in another dead tree overlooking a lake. And just down the road at another nest was a chick in her nest, hollering for food, tho I could not spot the dad. I found myself just being fully present in the moment, feeling the sun, the breeze, taking in the sounds of the ospreys. Its interesting how even with people, bikes, traffic in the distance, other birds, planes etc….the osprey vocalizations pierce thru it all for me. I hear their voices above the cacaphony of other sounds. That is the sound I am attuned to. I just love these birds so much. I am finally able to let go of the stresses of the breeding season, the research, the rescues, the worry, and enjoy these final days, hours, moments with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment