Monday, September 4, 2023

Labor Day….

 It’s been a ridiculously, miserably hot weekend, but I managed to confirm successful fledging on 7 nests….including one that had not fledged last weekend! I got lucky on Saturday and Sunday, but today, Labor day, I got skunked. The nest with the single female and Kisa remains totally empty. It’s now been two weeks since I saw Kisa and the male chick, and it will be two weeks tomorrow since I saw the female chick being pushed off the nest by her Mom. I have searched everywhere but have failed to locate them. I was so hoping to see some of them, or at least one of them, one more time...or perhaps the rehabbed male. Sigh.

I saw no ospreys at all at three other nests today as well.
I have checked in on the Arb chick and when she does show up, she whines so desperately it makes me laugh out loud. That hyperphagia is kicking in big time, instinctively causing her to pack on the pounds as she unknowingly prepares for a big adventure. As I looked at her and her Dad, she looks bigger than him now! She is a character. I am not seeing her Mom anymore….so she is probably on her way south. I am glad we have a happy ending at this nest.
Why is it that I feel so…..abandoned at this time of year?

No comments:

Post a Comment