Sunday, September 10, 2023

Mid September….feeling wistful.

 I worked hard this weekend trying to tie up a few more loose ends. (some are still dangling). I hiked a lot carrying my tripod and scope but thoroughly enjoyed the quiet time with the ospreys….tho I had to retrace my steps on sunday after getting skunked and rained on a tiny bit on Saturday. Many nests are empty now, sigh. But I finally managed to find what I believe was the last chick to fledge. I had seen her fly away from the nest two weeks ago but had not confirmed that she made it back to the nest and was being fed. It was keeping me awake last night so today I finally did that. She looked so beautiful with her very full crop, flying about, on the nest and off to her dads favorite perch. I also visited another nest where there was a lingering chick who was also a pleasure to watch. Her Dad finally showed up, after she announced to the world that he was coming, and I was able to confirm his band number. It was a lovely day. It’s fun when I can relax and linger at a nest, rather than feeling like I have ten more nests to get to. Last wednesday the winds changed and the temps dropped and sadly we said goodbye to many of our ospreys as they took advantage of the perfect conditions for beginning their big journey. But I always enjoy savoring these last days with the remaining ospreys. The weather is lovely, rather than those tortured hot, muggy days we endured this summer. The light is different….just fun to listen to the chicks food begging, the breezes rustling some dry leaves, and smells of the prairie plants. I watched one young osprey chase an eagle away….what a brave girl! I love these last young ospreys that just dont want to leave. I am hoping I have a few more days like this to share with them. I visited one of my favorite males nests 7 times in recent days….no chick, and no Dad. Hoping to see him next spring but in this moment, I have to let go. I have run into a couple of the nest monitors in the last week, and its always fun to actually see them in person and chat about our winged friends and life In general. I also love to run into interested people in the public who will endure my endless stories about ospreys, as I did today. I love a chance to spark someones curiousity about these birds!


Below is a photo of one of these lingering beauties…

No comments:

Post a Comment