Thursday, September 14, 2023

Will she stay or will she go?

 Its getting barder and harder to find any ospreys, but every day I go out I do find at least one chick, and I know that means her Dad is probably around to feed her. Yes its usually a female. It’s good to see Lil Arb is still around……we see less and less of her on the nest but she comes back for a fish delivery a couple times a day. I always like to see a fledged chick have at least a month between fledging and migrating, to build those skills and pack on the pounds for the trip. Lil Arb will be a month old on September 19. The weather forcast calls for the winds to shift Friday night, and over the weekend prevailing winds will be from the NW. Those are the conditions that invite the ospreys to begin their journey….if they are ready. All they have to do is put out their wings and let the wind carry them. Will she go this weekend? Or will she stay a bit longer? Winds shift back to southerly on Monday. This weekend I will also check the chick that just fledged during the final few days of August or first few days of September. She may need a little more time.

Sure hope I get to enjoy the presence of these special birds for a little longer….I am not very good at letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment