Saturday, September 23, 2023

September 23!

 Fall is definitely in the air….leaves are turning /falling. Some trees are going from green to dead without stopping at “beautiful”. But I went out again today to check the same nests I have checked the past two weekends. Tho some nests I visited during the week were now empty(sigh), today I got lucky! I did see that chick which I believe to be the latest fledging youngster. I had to hike around to locate her. At first I saw a juvenile flying and I watched that one circling higher and higher, and then I turned a corner and spotted another one perched on a pole, eating a fish. Watched this one for quite a while until I was certain it was that youngest chick. I am not sure of the identity of the other one since it never landed. And I saw no adult here, tho this Dad is elusive….we know he is there, delivering the fish!

So then I moved on to another nest where I have been seeing one chick the past two weeks. Today there were two ospreys flying in circles, very low, near the nest…..not chasing, not vocalizing….just kind of playing I think! Then they finally both landed on a nearby roof….both chicks! I believe these are siblings from that nest! Photos below. Great to see them both!!!! Dad must be around here, but I didnt see him.
Then I moved on to a third nesting territory…this one has become a delight to me in these final weeks. This dad is always nearby! Thats not all that common….as most dads seem to be scarce, just dropping several fish a day but not sticking around for long. But this Dad was perched in the same dead snag as the juvenile. Chick had a fish, and still was crying for more. Dad flew off and returned in TWO minutes with a fish and he ate near the chick. So sweet! It was hard to tear myself away from these two. I headed back to the first nest, thinking about hiking back out for another look, but saw dark clouds looming. And since I woke up this morning at 3:30 and never got back to sleep, my energy was sinking. I did see Lil Arb this morning as Dad delivered breakfast.
Will I see anyone next week? I dont know. But every day like this, spending some time with a few ospreys in person, is a delightful, treasured experience. I remind them all to stay safe….
the sibs on the roof….and the Dad and chick together in the snag.





No comments:

Post a Comment